I like to get detail iternary nformation to visit Tawang. I like to start from Kolkata. How can Ireach Tawang by a comfortable journey. We are three (2 and 1 kid. Journey time in October,2011. Please help by givng infomaiton abut train, bus, cab, accomodaton, what to see, how to reach, what to eat, please help me by giving details for I.L.P. and all other details. Please.
Answers to travel information on
Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh
I had visited Tawang last year and had the time of my life. I had written a detailed blog about my trip and am sure its gona be helpful to you so 1st go through it am sure all your Qs would be answered.
For any other details or query feel free to contact via e-mail or on my blog itself.Report Abuse
October seems to be OK. Keep it 2nd or 3rd week. It may not rain. I went by taking the Pawan Hans helicopter, it was very quick ( 0ne hour from Guwahati) but very frightening due to the very badly maintained Copter. You may know that two such crashed within few weeks. Now it is not operating. So the only way is by road. You should take a relatively good Jeep like Bolero or Scorpio. they are very expensive ( few tens of thousands I think ). They are comfortable and will be most suitable. You should halt at Bomdila.
We went last year November and were late and already started heavy snowfall. We stayed in a Govt Guest house but I would advice against it. There are a few good hotels in the main market and choose one of them. Being bengali you should not have any problem about food. You can get fish.
The power situation is very bad. Most of the nights were had no power. So choose one hotel which has a standby generator.
There are many places worth seeing. Monastry is of course the best, others like Madhuri lake, war memorial and some other nearby water falls.
Of course you need the pass which you can get in Kolkata. Hope these will suffice. On the way one day halt at Guwahati may not be a bad idea.
Tawang is connected by road to Tezpur in Assam. That is the most preferred route as far as I know. There are also chopper services to Tawang from Guwahati.
I can give you some info about the road travel as I had done it almost 5 years back.
1. There are loads of taxis that operate the Tezpur-Bomdila-Tawang route. I doubt you would want to travel on a shared taxi as that can be very crowded especially for the kid.
I am not aware of how much a taxi just for you would cost though. But this should be the best option.
2. There was also a bus which used to operate irregularly from Tezpur. It took 18 hours to cover the 300+kms and I wouldn't recommend it. In taxis, it takes about 12 hours.
3. Inner Line Permit should be claimed in Kolkata (Arunachal Bhavan, I think). Or otherwise, in Guwahati, near Commerce College. Personally, if you can get it in Kolkata and head straight to Tezpur, it would be better.
4. Since you might have to break the Kolkata-Tezpur-Bomdila-Tawang journey, I'd suggest you stay overnight at Bomdila instead of Tezpur (if that's possible).
It is a nice little place to get used to mountains and also prepare for the arduous journey to Tawang. There was a hotel called Shipyang Pong in Bomdila which you might want to try.
5. Tawang is a fantastic place. I stayed in Hotel Buddha which was supposed to have the only pure vegetarian hotel as well. You cannot miss the Tawang Monastery, Bum-la and the war memorial.
Hope this helps. Report Abuse