Nov 14, 2008
The new airport in Bangalore has been regularly making news for many months now, but mostly for wrong reasons. The project dragged on for too long, and the inauguration too had some hitches with dates. I made two trips out of the new airport in last one month, and here are my observations.
- The days of regular delay and flights circling the skies waiting for the runway to be free seem to be finally over. Takeoffs and landings happen smoothly, and there are no traffic jams.
- Finally, there is some sense in the food available inside the airport. All that you got in the old airport was some stale sandwiches re-heated to make them taste worse. Now, a restaurant serves South Indian food(Idli, Vada, Khara Bhath,..). Bless them!
- This one for shop-a-holics, not for general public. You have a way to spend time in the airport - there are quite a few shops to hang around.
- It is big enough not to feel crowded.
- The best thing is connectivity. BMTC has done excellent job in connecting the airport with the city. It is no longer needed to look for a taxi outside the airport. Just get to a comfy bus and get to the city.
- Free inernet.
- Distance is the most painful thing. It takes simply too long and you have to make lot of planning to get to airport. And this is one problem that nullifies all good things. The problem shows especially if you are taking a short haul flight.
- Pricey. If the airport starts charging User Development Fees as planned, passengers using Bangalore airport will have to pay some more money.
- Scalability. It doesn't look like it can handle twice the traffic we have today with its current avatar. Doubling traffic can happen in a time not far from now if we have growth rates similar to past five years.
Comments for Blog Post:
By Mukesh Miyan| Posted on:17 Nov 2008
This is good info...from someone who used both the airport. Just didn't get the 'Free Internet' thing on your blog...Is it really free?