With the winter setting in, its mostly the plains of India where it is the right time to travel. Though most domestic travel happens in summers when the sun is blazing, a lot of places in India are best visited in the winters. In the coming few months, India Explored will explore travel ideas and destination for the winter. We have already started with a post on Hampi.
Just before the beginning of winter, here is an overview of ideal places to visit from across the country.
1. Temple Towns of Tamil Nadu. In 10 days, you can cover Madurai, Thanjavur, Chidambaram, Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram. Or you can visit any one of these places for a weekend.
2. Beaches and backwaters of Kerala. Alleppey is a celebrated destination. Other places - Kovalam, Varkala, Cochin and Kasargod.
3. Northern Karnataka. Where history and architecture is at its best in the country. Visit Hampi, Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal and Bijapur. Spice it up with a visit to Belur and Halebeedu in Southern Karnataka, if you have enough time.
4. Beaches of Goa and Southern Maharashtra. Not much needs to be told about Goa. Visit North Goa's famed beaches, and in Maharasthra - Ganpatipule and Sindhudurg.
5. Madhya Pradesh. The less touristy state has much to offer than people know about it. Orchha and Khajuraho for remains of yesteryears, Kanha and Bandhavgarh for wildlife, Dhuandhar falls and Pachmari to be in the lap of nature.
6. Gujarat and Rajasthan. Rajasthan has plenty to offer, and winter is obviously the best time. Start from Jaipur, pass through Jodhpur, Udaipur and end in Jaisalmer or Bikaner. In Gujarat, see the only place in India host to Asiatic Lions - Gir. Rann of Kuchh is another noteworthy area in Gujarat.
7. UP and Uttaranchal. Varanasi, Rishikesh, Corbett. A few places worth mentioning among many beautiful places to go to. Skiing in Auli is an option for adventure oriented.
8. The North East's plains. It is ideal time to visit the plains of Assam, especially if you are the kind looking for wildlife. Visit Manas, Nameri and Kaziranga National Parks
9. The Himalayas. Most of the mighty mountains are out-of-bounds for winter. But it is ideal time to go to lower regions if you can tolerate some cold weather. Winter is the best time to experience clear blue skies in the days and orange sunsets on the mountains. Visit Kumaon, or lower regions of Himachal.