It is an old and stale story that Indians with new found wealth have been travelling abroad in considerable numbers. It has been told and retold a thousand times in the last few years. While I myself was seeing large number of people around me leaving for destinations like US(mostly on work), Singapore, Malaysia, Europe, Australia and other popular tourist destinations, I did not know that Indians are travelling to more remote regions too. A few months back, a friend asked me if I know of any trends of Indians travelling to South America, and I had casually said no. But when I tried to recall, it so turned out that I knew more than half a dozen people who had been to South America in the last couple of years.
Scanning travel related news in the last few days, I was amazed at the kind of tourism offices that have been wooing Indians to travel to their countries. Would you have thought about Indian tourists in countries like Korea, Cuba, Tanzania, Nigeria..? Just see news clips from just last week alone, about all these countries trying to have Indians hop on to a plane to their tourist destinations.
1. Korea Tourism makes a comeback [to woo Indian tourists] with new strategies.
2. Cuba is looking at India as a potential
market [for tourism] in the Asia region.
3. Pakistan Tourism keen on India.
4. Mexico Tourism board plans to come to India.
5. Egypt to sign tourism agreement with India
6. Nigeria Tourism opens office in India.
7. Land of Hospitality[Kazaksthan] invites Indian Tourists.
8. Tanzania to woo Indian Tourists.
The variety of countries is very very impressive, and doubly so, that all these news stories are no more than a week old.